
As week 13 draws to a close, I am finally greeted by a small sense of relief. After all this would finally mean that I can just concentrate studying for the final exams and not have to worry for about some impending deadlines that forever seem to clog the week 12/13 period.
My thoughts about after taking GEK1036 is that the module was worth the bid points that I spent on it. This is because the module not only taught me to be more culturally aware, but it has also allowed me to practice my research, report writing and presentational skills.
Below are some of the highlights of the module for me:
The well structured course content which covers both macroscopic cross - communications topics like speech acts and speech events and microscopic topics like CMC and face and politeness has given me a taste of what cultural studies would be like without going too much into the details. The only downside was that we didn’t manage to cover professional communication, due to the Good Friday public holiday. I would think that this particular topic would be quite applicable to graduating students that are heading into the workforce.
Similarly, the opportunity to be able to work a project on a particular discourse topic of our choice brings depth to the course. As I was pretty tied down with my final year project, I decided to do an individual project so that my peers wouldn’t have to accommodate my crazy lab schedules when finding a common time to meet. The advantage of doing an individual project is that I set my ‘own meeting times’, and I work when I feel like working. The only downside is that there isn’t someone to reaffirm/challenge your ideas. However, I thought that the project proposal and literature review assignments serve as an excellent affirmation to me so that I know my project was heading in the correct direction.
If I had to suggest ways to improve the course, I feel that Dr Deng could look into integrating the class activity between the lecture, and not leave it till after the lecture. This would allow the students to keep an even more attentive mind, because active group discussion can serve to engage the students. Having said that, I think the tutorials activities should be kept the same because they serve as an excellent platform to substantiate the lecture content that was covered in class.
Lastly, I would like to thank Dr Deng for taking the time to comment on our blog posts. I really appreciate your feedback that you have given me for all my posts. I would also like to thank my fellow peers for their active participation during class, and for making our class so lively! All the best for the coming exams!
No comments:
Post a Comment